Posts

Showing posts from November, 2020

Pirlo: 'Arthur doesn't have much vision'

Image
Andrea Pirlo was refreshingly honest about the ways Juventus disappointed against Ferencvaros, especially Arthur and Paulo Dybala. The substitutions proved decisive, specifically Alvaro Morata, who came off the bench to score the 92nd-minute winner after Cristiano Ronaldo had cancelled out the Myrto Uzuni opener. It was a very hard-fought win for the Bianconeri, although they did hit the woodwork twice with Federico Bernardeschi and Morata. “We had intended to start with a different attitude, but we know there can be difficulties in games that seem on paper to be simple. We were too superficial at the start and had to chase the game,” Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia. “Our first press wasn’t vehement, which is normal after so many matches to lose a little intensity, but the important thing was not to get stretched out and allow counter-attacks. We did it a few times in the first half, but then managed to settle down. “I expected more from the players, but Ferencvaros clammed up, we had to t

Barcelona have more points in the Champions League than LaLiga Santander

Image
 Barcelona continue to show two different faces in their respective competitions this season, coming up with a comfortable win over Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday. The victory, their fourth in four matches in the Champions League, means they have picked up more points in Europe (12) than in their eight games in LaLiga Santander (11) so far this campaign. Ronald Koeman's side have won each of their Champions League fixtures fairly convincingly: 5-1 against Ferencvaros at home, 2-0 against Juventus away, 2-1 against Dynamo at home and now the 4-0 win against Dynamo away. The Blaugrana have also scored just two more goals in LaLiga Santander this season (15) than in the Champions League (13), despite playing twice as many matches in the domestic competition. Barcelona's form in the Champions League group stages has seen them already book their place in the last 16 with two matches - away to Ferencvaros and home to Juventus - left to come.

Van Basten: Messi and Griezmann play like two people without purpose

Image
Marc van Basten has targeted Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann after the two forwards' performances in Barcelona's 1-0 defeat away to Atletico Madrid last Saturday night. The Blaugrana created little against Los Rojiblancos and now find themselves sitting 13th in the table, 12 points off leaders Real Sociedad. "Simply they are playing bad now," Van Basten said on Ziggo Sport. "Messi and Antoine Griezmann are playing like two people without purpose." In fact, Van Basten used the Dutch expression "Stelletje koekenbakkers" when discussing the Argentine and Frenchman, which literally translates to a "bunch of bakers". This is a set phrase which refers to people who do a job without any notion of what they are doing or in a sloppy or clumsy way. Messi has already come in for some criticism this season, with some wondering if he is truly invested after being forced to stay at the club last summer, but Van Basten has pointed to a couple of fact

Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma likely to miss Australia Test series: Report

Image
Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma likely to miss Australia Test series: Report Rohit Sharma and Ishant Sharma are currently undergoing rehab at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore. India's star batsman Rohit Sharma and leading Test pacer Ishant Sharma are likely to miss the Test series against Australia, according to a report from Indian Express. Rohit and Ishant suffered from injuries during the 2020 Indian Premier League, and are currently undergoing recovery at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru. According to the report, there has been "no communication" from the NCA over their current recovery status and their expected date of departure to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). As such, it is likely that both will miss the four-match Test series, as Team India's head coach Ravi Shastri on Sunday said that the duo might miss the series if they don't leave for Australia within "next three-to-four days." Rohit is rested for the

Dybala will reportedly partner Ronaldo in Juventus’ attack tomorrow

Image
Dybala will reportedly partner Ronaldo in Juventus’ attack tomorrow Paulo Dybala will reportedly partner Cristiano Ronaldo in Juventus’ attack against Ferencvaros tomorrow. La Joya has seven appearances in all competitions so far this season but has only started three games since the beginning of the campaign. He scored his only seasonal goal in the first leg against Ferencvaros in Hungary three weeks ago. The former Palermo star has been struggling with injuries this season. He had begun the campaign with an injury he picked un in July and suffered genitourinary and gastrointestinal problems that didn’t let him train regularly in the first months of the season. According to Sky Sport, the Argentinean is the favourite to start alongside Cristiano Ronaldo in Juventus’ attack with Alvaro Morata who would initially start the game from the bench. Juve can qualify for the last-16 stage with two matches in hand if they win and Dynamo Kiev fail to beat Barcelona. Andrea Pirlo confir

Fans will NOT be allowed to sing, shout or drink when they return to grounds

Image
Fans will NOT be allowed to sing, shout or drink when they return to grounds Fans may be ordered not to sing, shout or drink alcohol when they are allowed to return to Premier League matches under a new Covid Code of Conduct, Sportsmail has learned. The Premier League have written to each club outlining new measures for when grounds reopen. The document, sent to top-flight sides on Saturday, states: 'This may include singing, shouting and alcohol consumption.' The code will be 'in plain and concise language' and supporters will be asked to sign up to it at the point of ticket purchase. Each club will be able to tailor the rules to their own requirements and there will be discussions over agreed sanctions for those who fail to comply. Fans may be asked to stagger their arrival and exit times in an attempt to avoid bottlenecks, and grounds will feature signs reinforcing the importance of social distancing, hygiene requirements, and the Code of Cond

Man City drew up a 10-YEAR strategy to maximise Messi's pulling power

Image
Man City drew up a 10-YEAR strategy to maximise Messi's pulling power Manchester City devised a 10-year strategy to maximise the benefit of landing Lionel Messi from Barcelona, Sportsmail can reveal. Messi’s attempts to secure a summer move to City were scuppered after Barcelona showed that a release clause in his deal had expired. City remain interested in signing the Argentine, 33, next year — with plans to discuss a decade-long association with City Football Group, who own 10 clubs. That would start with a multi-year contract to play for Pep Guardiola. Yet club officials, who believe the influx of fresh commercial revenues would go a long way to financing a mega-money deal, hope the relationship would extend far further. The option of Messi starring for another CFG team has been floated, with New York City suggested as a destination. Messi is free to speak with interested parties regarding a free transfer from January 1.

Messi LEFT OUT of Barcelona's 19-man UCL squad for trip to Dynamo Kiev

Image
Messi LEFT OUT of Barcelona's 19-man UCL squad for trip to Dynamo Kiev Barcelona have left Lionel Messi out of their 19-man squad to face Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Tuesday. The Argentine played the full 90 minutes of Barca's 1-0 defeat by Atletico Madrid on Saturday, but was not included in the list of players who will travel to the Ukraine for the Group G match. Manager Ronald Koeman advised he has decided to rest Messi and midfielder Frenkie de Jong for the European tie because they are in a good position in their group but are struggling in 12th place in LaLiga. The club cannot afford another injury after Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto joined Ansu Fati and Samuel Umtiti in the long-term absentee list. The superstar forward is due a rest after missing just 45 minutes of action in total for Barca this season and played all of both Argentina's games against Paraguay and Peru last week.

Ibrahimovic attacks EA Sports for using his image

Image
Ibrahimovic attacks EA Sports for using his image The AC Milan striker used his Twitter account to attack EA Sports for using his image without his permission in the FIFA 21 videogame. On Monday, Zlatan Ibrahimovic used his Twitter account to attack EA Sports for using his image without his consent. According to the 39-year-old, the producers are profiting from his image in the new FIFA 21 video game and it is ‘Time to investigate.’ “Who gave FIFA EA Sport permission to use my name and face FifPro? I’m not aware of being a member of Fifpro and if I am I was put there without any real knowledge through some weird maneuver. And for sure I never allowed FIFA or Fifpro to make money using me,” Ibra wrote on Twitter. “Somebody is making profit on my name and face without any agreement all these years. Time to investigate.” The Swedish striker scored a brace against Napoli on Sunday, but picked up a hamstring injury and AC Milan announced on Monday that he will be out

Jules Kounde reveals phone call with Guardiola about summer move to Man City

Image
Jules Kounde reveals phone call with Guardiola about summer move to Man City Sevilla defender Jules Kounde has reflected on his failed move to Manchester City this summer, revealing he had spoken with manager Pep Guardiola on the phone before the deal fell through. City had made Kounde a top target as they sought out a new centre-back following some defensive struggles, with the 22-year-old flourishing for the LaLiga side and helping them win the Europa League last season. The Frenchman admitted he was interested in a move to the Etihad and was even promised he would get regular first team football by the Spaniard before club officials ended up signing Ruben Dias in a club-record £65million deal. 'Yes, I spoke with Pep Guardiola. He had him on the telephone,' he told Canal Football Club, via Goal. 'We spoke in Spanish. Everything went well. I was interested in going there and I had guarantees that I would play. But it didn't happen.' Kounde ha

Arteta admits he is 'worried' by Arsenal's lack of goals after drawing Leeds

Image
Arteta admits he is 'worried' by Arsenal's lack of goals after drawing Leeds Sevilla defender Jules Kounde has reflected on his failed move to Manchester City this summer, revealing he had spoken with manager Pep Guardiola on the phone before the deal fell through. City had made Kounde a top target as they sought out a new centre-back following some defensive struggles, with the 22-year-old flourishing for the LaLiga side and helping them win the Europa League last season. The Frenchman admitted he was interested in a move to the Etihad and was even promised he would get regular first team football by the Spaniard before club officials ended up signing Ruben Dias in a club-record £65million deal. 'Yes, I spoke with Pep Guardiola. He had him on the telephone,' he told Canal Football Club, via Goal. 'We spoke in Spanish. Everything went well. I was interested in going there and I had guarantees that I would play. But it didn't happen.

Barcelona are calm on Ousmane Dembele despite knock

Image
  Barcelona are calm on Ousmane Dembele despite knock Barcelona are not fearful over Ousmane Dembele, despite him appearing to hurt his shoulder against Atletico Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano. After Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto were injured, there were worries about the French winger, who suffered a problem there just before half time. He was able to play on and Barca think he will be able to train on Monday ahead of the Dinamo Kiev clash. Dembele played the 90 minutes against Atletico, showing he can be useful this season if fitness allows. Ronald Koeman would be in trouble if Dembele was out too, given Ansu Fati is already out. The team are training tomorrow at 11am, with Clement Lenglet and Koeman speaking to media after that, before travelling to Kiev in the afternoon. Barca have nine points from nine in the Champions League so far.

Sergio Aguero: Pep Guardiola to be patient with striker's return from injury

Image
Sergio Aguero: Pep Guardiola to be patient with striker's return from injury Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says his side need Sergio Aguero to return to full fitness, but is ready to be patient over the striker's comeback from injury in order to avoid further setbacks. Aguero, who was out for five months after undergoing knee surgery on an injury sustained in the early stages of last season's restart, made only three appearances this campaign before picking up a hamstring injury. Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Tottenham made it one win in three matches for City, who have failed to score more than once in a single Premier League match since September's 5-2 defeat by Leicester. Guardiola knows a fit and firing Aguero will be crucial to reviving City's domestic campaign, but warns he will have to be cautious over how he uses the 32-year-old once he recovers. "I'm not going to say that we don't need Sergio, we need him," sa